Sunday, May 21, 2006

DAP fever

I don't know why when it's so close to my exams, I blog A LOT. When it's not during exams I hardly have the urge to write.

But anyway.....

DAP DEFEATS BN! OPPOSITION WINS 9 SEATS IN SARAWAK.

haha...at first when I read the papers I was like okay la...good, not bad for DAP.
I think my family is a closet opposition supporter (thinks of the Aliran magazine my dad used to subcribe)...ahemmm...ok, let me rephrase that:
I think my family is an opposition supporter.

Then my mum calls (yea, the daily phone call thing) and tells me how my grandmother rushed down from Sibu to Bintangor (my maternal hometown) just to watch the electorial count, how my granduncles in Kuching were so happy! And how they lament with a smirk in their faces that DAP could have won another 2 seats (which DAP narrowly lost by 100-200 votes).

Oh yea, by the way, I'm a SARAWAKIAN..haha..born in Sibu (land of kampua) who lives in Labuan whose father comes from KL. (so yea where's my hometown?..I really don't know because my KL grandparents are in Australia now)
Nonetherless, I am proud that the people of Sarawak has made a stand.

DAP really didn't expect to win that big in Sarawak. All this while, the opposition party in Sarawak has never won more than 2-3 seats...Sarawak delivered the best record for BN in the last general elections.

Yet I also realize that this huge win by DAP acutely exposes the polarity of racism in Malaysian politics. Like it or not, DAP won because of Chinese votes. Like it or not, BN won big in rural areas because of indigenous support. The rural vs the urban. Different expectations of their elected representitives. A growing split in what Malaysians' think/vote...
As united as we think we are, (or as united as Barisan looks) when it comes to voting, we still vote according to race. No party would field a Chinese candidate in a predominantly Malay community. Even BN with all its national might would hesistate to field a Chinese candidate in a sure win stronghold if the majority of the population is Malay. Vice versa. Different parties of the coalition would get allocated seats to contest...predominantly Chinese consituent areas would be assigned to Chinese parties..etc..

I look to the day when we as Malaysians would vote for the capabilities of an individual and not the colour of the skin, nor even the party backing the candidate.

I look forward to the day where...members of the rulling party can choose to vote in the parliment based on what they think, and not what the party line says...(can you imagine, that no matter how "dumb" the act that is being passed is, if you are a member of the rulling coalition, you MUST vote yes? You cannot use your head to think if the act is logical or beneficial, but just must tick yes because you are the member of that fraction...! So technically lets just say there's a law to be passed that says Malaysians cannot marry foreigners, no matter how illogical the law is, you have to vote YES... No wonder some MPs sleep in Parliment, no need to listen or debate, just tick yes)

Anyway...don't sue me for this or post angry comments...
I'm just a ill-informed medical student who hasn't studied her CNS notes...
what do I know about politics rite?
And no, I don't mean to be racist. I do apologize in advance if I sound racist.

And yes, medical students do read other things apart from their notes and Mama Patho! ;)

2 comments:

GaRy said...

i guess da urban ppl finally realised, "y shd we vote 4 clowns who can't make decisions based on their conscience.." let's hope dat dis is da beginning of a change 4 da better..

Anonymous said...

:)