Sunday, September 18, 2005

Of phones and newspapers...

My dad remarked just now, "So now you have 2 handphones and 1 land line? What kind of business are you running?"

Oops...okay, it sounds very extravagant to have 2 handphones and 1 land line. But it's not because I'm rich or have money to burn. It's just that it's more economical to actually have 3 phones. For myself and those who have to call me. So actually I save more in having 3 lines than one. And save others money too! :) See, I'm considerate..haha.

Now, on newspapers. As much as I dislike admitting this, I think I'm a newspaper addict. Must read newspaper everyday without fail. I think it's a family thing because my 10 year old cousin is reading The Star and craves his paper too. When I went to his house last Thursday, we had 3 copies of The Star. I bought one, my uncle bought one, my grandfather bought one.

Back home in Labuan, when the newspaper arrives, we often have to split it apart into sections because everyone wants to read at the same time. My dad used to subscribe to both The Star and New Straits Times, until they jacked up the price to RM1.80. But we still buy the two newspapers on Sundays. So yea, my family is crazy about newspapers/magazines/books.

I have no problems fasting on food. But the last time I tried fasting newspaper reading, I think I only lasted 3 days out of 1 week. But since the Dream Centre fund has started, I feel that I must give "sacrificially". Something that actually costs me something, maybe not totally in financial terms but in terms of piorities. (It's actually easier for me to skip lunch and save that money than to skip newspapers..weird, weird, weird) So yea, I'm starting my newspaper fasting tomorrow...till the coming Sunday. It's just RM 8.40 in savings but in terms of "sacrifice", it really hits me. Of course no cheating by reading newspapers in library too.
So to those who are reading this, please keep me accountable to my fast.
I really hope I can use the average 30-40 minutes that I spend reading the papers daily to pray for my own family, CG, IMU, Malaysia....

No comments: