Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Child-like faith

I guess I'm not so sad now, which is good :) praise God

You know, something good about being at home with my sisters is that I get to talk more with them, without the parents around..haha, more opportunities for scandalous topics heh? haha.

And over dinner yesterday, my sister Serene and I were just talking about our childhood. Serene is the youngest in the family and sometimes the most mischievous, but also the most cute. Sometimes there's a little fiction between us because she always sees me as the disciplinarian while I always see her as the spoilt one. But yea, being her "mum" now, I can't help but also "manja" her as well.



Anyway, somehow we were talking about the time where I was around 8 or 9, and she was around 3 or 4 years old. At time, my sisters loved to eat button mushrooms (we called them english mushrooms to distinguish them from the chinese mushrooms). The only thing they would eat everyday at that time was chicken soup, button mushrooms and rice.

You know mushrooms are hard to digest if taken in large quantities and thus, they sometimes vomited.

So here comes the hero, Sarah....hahahahaha. Drum roll..

I remember sitting them down by the steps of the door in my old rented house. I still remember it was around 5 plus in the afternoon and told them, "Come, I want to tell you a story about a princess." (Yea, we loved the disney cartoons with princesses and always fight on who own the video cassettes of Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast or Cinderella..haha)

Here goes the story:

Once there was a very beautiful princess. She lived in a very nice castle and had many toys. She had very long hair (All of us loved long hair then, my sister cried when she went to the hairdresser). But she liked to eat a lot of mushrooms. Everyday she would eat mushrooms. One day she ate so much mushrooms that she had a bad stomach ache. The princess vomited. The princess very sad because her stomah ache very painful. Then the beautiful princess died because she ate too many mushrooms.

And the girls believed me! They cut down dramatically on their mushroom intake and Serene told me, "I believed you so much so that I told my classmate in nursery!"

Serene said she was so convinced, she went to nursery the next day told her friend "My che che said that if you eat a lot of mushrooms, you'll die like the princess."


Poor innocent victims conned by Sarah


In the midst of the reminiscence and laughing, I am reminded about child-like faith.

The full trust my sisters had (notice the past tense..haha) in me, because they thought I was like demi God, the big sister who knew everything under the sun. The belief in every word I said, not because I was that great a story teller, but because they know me as their sister and thus, everything I said about the princess must be true.

In parallel, child like faith in God, because He DOES know everything and He cares! His words are real and not some make up story

(unlike mine, but to my defense, I was just 8 okay? haha, and some mushrooms are poisonous!)

The kind of unadulterated trust that is not swayed by logic, but affirmed because of our loving relationship with our Father. The simple belief that God is our Father and He does love us.

Am learning to rediscover child like faith.

The kind of faith, simple but powerful; where a 3 year old believes that eating too much mushrooms can kill a princess.

*uhm, after verfying the story with my sister, she said that I told her the princess ate a CAKE MADE OUT OF MUSHROOMS. Wahaha. And the other reason I told them the story was to stop us from fighting over the mushrooms*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how sweet... I wish my sister did that to me... :) I guess you and your sisters are having so much fun bonding now... :)

faceless said...

Being the youngest of 6 sisters I can relate very well to this post. There is always something special when sisters are together.

Jonathan said...

walau, and to think we had a conman leading the IMUCF for a year...

Anonymous said...

Haha