Thursday, October 20, 2005

Beating together

Didn't know a single person at first. Didn't know what laid in store. Didn't even know how I'd get there. Didn't know why I signed up....but it was a great experience...MCPP part1...Port Dickson.

Actually, it never even cross my head to go to mission preperation course...after all, it needed a weekend and yea...being busy and stuff, really didn't expect to go. But, so happened another CG member wanted to go, and I thought oh well, if my exams are over, it'll be good to bond with her. So yea, signed up via Peter..not even sure when, where, what to do...

Thankfully, it was right after endo even though in the end I was the only one who went from cg. Met with some of the CYZ people. Really an interesting mix of students, one UM maths whiz, two chemists' students, one future teacher, one engineer to be...and of course lots of uncles and aunties...since the camp was a mix camp irrespective of age.
From retirees to students like us...all 38 of us...

Somehow God arrranged transport, arranged friends, arranged every single thing to the last detail. The most wonderful thing was that everyone shared the same heart, the same passion, the same vision. People who are not ashamed to cry and intercede for the lands, the 10/40 window...
We didn't even need to speak words to convey the longings of our hearts, it was the same heartbeat, beating together...and somehow everyone bonded very well, because we shared the same purpose. It's like everyone catching the essense...can't even explain...but just catching it.

Of course, I'm not going to run off to some interior of Thailand just yet. This was just a short prep for a short mission trip...but yea, did lots of fun stuff, like going into the sea to practise baptism on each other, prayer walking and acting out mimes. Praying. Crying..haha..surrendering, eating..doing funny ice breakers. Learning. Struggling with call of God and self. Playing with sand (surprisingly, that stretch of beach was quite clean). Being exposed to nations where DUMC has sent mission teams, Cambodia, Thailand, Myanmar, China, Sarawak, Orang Asli (I might go this dec...might, might..haha), Nepal.

Was very blessed by Su Foong and Kian Leong, and their two kids, Sarah and Seth..
A normal, upper middle class family, who went on their first short term mission trip 2 years ago. In the space of just 2 years, give up everything to go to Thailand. Inspired by Su Foong especially. How in tears she would share to us the struggles they will face when they go to Thailand. Their children's education. Giving up comfort. Leaving behind familiar faces. Learning a new language. Toiling in a hostile land. Just, just to follow the call of Jesus. But the joy. And surrender. Simple obedience. Laughter and smiles.

If I leave for UK next year, the only few countries I can go would be Cambodia and probably Thailand..and that's if my holidays coincide with the trips. Would love to go to Nepal even thought the previous DUMC team to Nepal was held overnight by Maoist rebels not to mention the dangerous clifts and mountains we have to climb in Nepal (lots and lots of walking from 1 village to another). Of course, my mum really think twice before giving approval..haha.

I don't know. Haha :) Lord, wherever You provide. And thank you for reminding me last weekend about You and about my future. Although it's will not be the most glamorous or instantly gratifying journey to take, hold me close to You. That I will feel your heartbeat and move in Your direction. Even if You send me all alone to some small place (like Labuan..haha), even if my tears will not stop following, even if it costs everything I want, even if it's just You and me. Your grace is sufficient for me.

Really, I don't want to assume I'll 100% be some missionary or a compassionate, selfless doctor. Or that I'll definately be going to some far off country for You. I'm not naive or overconfident that I'll be willing to forsake the temptations of staying overseas with all the money, perks and comfort. I pray that I will not be another wannabe idealistic medic student who loses the passion once I hit the reality of injustice, corruption and plain suffering as a doctor. I hope and Lord, please, I pray, that You soften my heart even more when I see the mess of this world.

I don't know. I don't know. This is just the begining of a long long journey. Full of twists and turns. Holes and ravines. Uncertainties. I'm not confident to say that I'll definately stay strong till the end. A lot of things can change. But You don't. You know all things. And that's enough. That's enough.

No comments: