Sunday, December 17, 2006

Why I should be kicked out of med school...

Something to offset the overly excessive emo-ness of this blog

Was reading through an O & G book when I reached this chapter...

Chapter 30: Uterus Smaller Than Dates.

(in my head-emmm..that's really unusual! What kind of pathological cause can cause the uterus to be smaller than dates?)

Never mind, will read further...


(mentally starting to imagine the uterus size...and the possible causes of uterus smaller than dates.......like seriously, what can cause the uterus to shrink so much! this is really interesting)

so power: using mental imaging while reading somemore...



From book: About 30-40% of cases in the 3rd trimester have uteri smaller than dates.

(so many cases with uterus smaller than dates??? How come I've never heard of this!?)

And so it actually took me a few MINUTES to comprehend that


Uterus smaller than dates actually meant:
Uterus size is smaller than the date of gestational age/date of pregnancy



AND NOT what I thought

Uterus smaller than dates means
Uterus size is smaller than DATES (dates as in the fruit date)!



No wonder I thought it was pretty strange for a pregnant woman's uterus to shrink to the size of a fruit date ...(which would measure 3cm tops)

& was so curious as in to what kind of weird pathology could cause such an unusual thing to happen!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

wait a minute:
now I'm not only an emo person, but in addition a terribly frightening medical student!


haha.

2 comments:

kedekut said...

LOL. Your thought process was hilarious but I am still confused by the comparison of size vs tarikh.
I will search the internet for further explanation.

Anonymous said...

:)