Saturday, December 09, 2006

It only takes 24 hours

It's a wonder how fast the perceptions about someone or something can change in the blink of an eye, a fragment of news.

Most of the times unexpected.
For better or for worst.

Like stumbling upon something unexpected, uncomfortable.



Yet in the same day, a small but amazing shift of perceptions.

You know how we vista people often ignore the guards that controlled the electronic gates. Either never truly noticed them or when we did, blamed them for the thefts and incompetence.

Today as Philip was winding the window to pass his driving licence to the guard in Vista B we caught the guard talking on the phone in a language. Joan was asking Philip what he was saying and Philip mentioned that the guard was a nepali.

Just so happened that DUMC was organizing Christmas party for the Nepali workers. The pastor announced in the service to pass flyers to the parking attendants, the labourers or any of the Nepali workers we met. Of course it just flew in and out of my ear immediately, because I didn't really care.

But Joan, a 1 year Christian said, "hey let's pass the flyer to the guard"

Which was a bold suggestion because like I said, I as a former vista person don't really like the guards, preferring to get out of their way, suspicious and afraid they'll trail me to my apartment. Plus she actually remembered the announcement.

And when Philip drove out and passed the flyer to the guard, the guard was amazed and happy that someone would invite him. He mentioned he was a Christian and went to a church in Jalan Alor. He was interested in attending the service, and told us he'd contact the numbers on the flyer.

Funny how we/I don't really care about things that we think have nothing to do with us/me. Yet it could make a difference, no matter how tiny.

Even if eventually the guard doesn't go to the party, at least tonite, he knows that someone cared enough to invite him.

My own changed perception of a guard.


The God of small things.

7 comments:

kedekut said...

*Moved to tears*

Anonymous said...

That's so so COOL!! :) that's another lesson for me/us to learn :)

GaRy said...

I remembered an embarassing moment last year when my parents were driving me back to IMU and there was a long queue of cars waiting to enter Vista B (apparently the guards were conducting checks since some thefts have been occuring lately). When we winded down the windscreen, before the guard could say anything, I scolded him first in Malay, claiming "I live here." His sarcastic reply came, "I know lah you live here, I was only doing a routine check, you so angry for what..?" After that, pai seh :p walk in or out of Vista must check whether that guard is there on duty.. if yes, dare not even look at the guard post.. since that day, never scolded anybody without reason.. lolz//

Anonymous said...

tx tx..

it's all the encouraging comments that has kept me from shutting down this blog..haha

Philip said...

jalan ipoh lah

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah,

I went looking for my own blog (sarahliveshere) and stumbled on yours. A good friend of mine is going through chemotherapy for leukemia and both of us are also Christians. I found your stories to be helpful and it's nice to read the thoughts and concerns of someone else who is in a support position. Blessings on your studies and prayers for healing.

Anonymous said...

sorry la, poor memory..
not as good as urs

sarah: thanks :) nice meeting another sarah