Friday, February 17, 2006

What compels?


His father died today. He never got to say the last goodbye.
Just after 1 month in Chiang Mai, Kien Loong rushed back to KL today for the funeral. Those who know Kien Loong and Su Fong feel their pain and share a kindship with them.

After being in PD with them, getting to know their family and learning God with them there's a fierce protectiveness that I feel for them. When I read the papers on Thailand, it's no longer just another country, but hey! it's the country where my friends are. Tom Yam is just not another dish, but what my friends eat everyday.

It's not another wannabe missionary couple being "foolish" to forsake all to be obedient to my God. Nor is it another missionary talking about something I don't grasp or feel.

But it's a missionary family whom I've prayed with, whom I've seen Su Fong cry while praying for Thailand when looking at the map of the world. It's Sarah and Seth their children who've touched us all with their maturity and love for the people of Thailand themselves. It's Su Fong who'd joke with me that we are made for South East Asian countries cuz we are both tanned and thus look like the people there. It's Kian Loong humbly sharing from his heart on how God changed and convicted him to leave his job.

It's simply lives that've touched other lives, including mine...

In the preceding months before leaving I've seen them sell their house, their car, say goodbye to friends and family, bringing their two children to an unknown land...

What comples them? To go leaving everything, to go on despite sad circumstances?

For Christ's love compels us, because we are convienced that One died for all, and therefore all died. And He died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for Him who died for them and was raised again. 2 Corinthians 5:14-15

Indeed, "he is no fool to give what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot

Teach me to gaze into Your eyes and learn Your humility.

Keep them in your prayers. Pray for Thailand

No comments: