Monday, January 03, 2011

Bring in the new year

I come from a family with not much traditions.
We've never really celebrated Christmas/Chinese New year/New Year etc.
Being a busy person, my father's idea of a celebration on a public holiday was to stay at home, maybe watch some TV.
Never really had fancy dinners or big gatherings (not helped by the fact that most of our immediate relatives/grandparents are overseas).

Thus I was not particularly excited when the holiday season rolled around this time.
Had a good Christmas but watched the fireworks on new years eve from home as was working the next day.

And when I was asked by my leader what did I anticipate 2011 to be, I gave a noncommital answer
-truth is, I am not sure.
I, a single girl, have to decide what I want to choose in Medicine, where would I want to stay, would I want to go back to Malaysia?
What about the things I want but cannot plan for? Like family and ministry?
Was totally not excited at all about this new year....

Realized while I was praying, that I probably had no expectations because I was afraid of disappointments that come with dashed expectations.
But God is worthy of that trust, and that even if, even if disappointments come, I have to trust that God is far bigger than them....

and thus, although I am feeling quite melancholic now (more so because I start work again after a public holiday today), I will choose to hope in God....

1 comment:

LX said...

I think I start to feel a bit like that too.. but learning to really rely on Him. Easier said than done, sometimes. Happy new year to you!