Thursday, May 07, 2009

Vanity!

I am always humbled down when I myself get a cosmetic crisis. As medical practitioners it's so easy to dismiss patients' concerns about the cosmetic effects in the view of more life threatening issues BUT indeed appearances do matter!

A month plus ago I developed a keloid at the back of my ear lobe and freaked out after goggling the pictures online! Although it was not life threatening, in the literature it is not very curable and has a high relapse rate after any modality of treatment. It did cause some anxious moments and yes, it is still there at the moment, but I am thankful to God that it hasn't grown.

I am just so weary that another keloid will develop; this time on the face! I need to see my GP tomorrow! Indeed it is so humbling and makes me repent for judging people when they have body issues or cosmetic surgery etc etc. The holier than thou attitude about others until I myself am plagued with something that keeps me looking at the mirror whenever I get the chance and fretting if it's grown in size....it really keeps things in perspective that I am oh so human as well.

Do pray that no more keloids come up! :(

4 comments:

your reader said...

*wonders whether you have pierced earlobes for earrings*

eguitarist said...

haha, u're funny :)

Chinnie91 said...

Hi, I know this is sort of random but I stumbled across your blog whilst surfing the net for more information on IMU. I'm starting first year med (PMS- graduate route)in August and I'm a little anxious as to how things are going to be like in first year med. I was wondering if you could tell me a little about what to do to prepare for this course? I mean I've taken up volunteer work but I don't really know what else to do...should I brush up on the science subjects? I graduated from high school in October 2008 so I might be a little rusty academically...anyway, I hope things are going well for you. Thank you and God bless.

Amanda.

Sarah said...

Yup I have pierced earlobes but have had them for years without any problems. This one just incidentally arose and is unilateral, so it is unfortunate but oh well.

Chinie: Med in IMU in the 1st sem is quite self directed, only around 2 hrs of lectures a day but with more self studying. I guess u can read a bit of bio stuff but in the end it's not that crucial. Some of my friends did not do bio but still managed fine. If you want to meet ppl who can help you, check out the CF there. www.imucf.wordpress.com
There will be seniors who will be willing to tell u about exams and which books to buy etc etc....
Overall I think lots of ppl will be nervous too but it will be fine in the end. Enjoy IMU!