Saturday, May 02, 2009

Can't help it

One of the biggest reasons I don't want to return to Malaysia for internship is my sheer lack of knowledge; especially in terms of practical skills. And O&G in particular requires experience, experience, experience

Over here, my scheduled clinics keep getting canceled because there are too many students both medical and allied health jostling for places-so bad that I can count the number of times I have palpated the abdomens. Turning up for things only to be turned away. I was at delivery suite today waiting but was told to go back home.

It is not such a big deal if I am going to work in Australia because O&G is an optional rotation. But I just do not want to be in the situation as an intern in Malaysia (since it is a compulsory rotation for year 1) at a district hospital getting complicated cases the midwives cannot handle and not knowing what to do. Plus the fact that we don't get taught to do anything at all here, not the suturing, nor the checking of dilatation and are lucky if we get to hold the baby.

I just hope I will be a safe doctor when I graduate at the rate I am going/learning now...

2 comments:

GaRy said...

Do your O&G elective in Hospital Sultanah Aminah, Johor Bahru. Guaranteed to be a life-changing experience :-)

Sarah said...

Hahah I did my elective already..at GHKL...
but not in O&G, don't really want to do it as a speciality but just want enough experience to be able to not harm my patients esp if in a general hospital kind of setting

haha