Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Rm 50 & filmed for TV

The week has passed by so fast with so many things and events taking place that I have yet "redeem" my sleep debt.

Let me first regrugitate my story on RM50 that I "earned" last Tuesday. Was walking to HSBC to open a bank account. Saw some people with cameras and lights in front of Masjid India and thought they were shooting some documentary on Malaysia. Suddenly, this girl comes up and says "Would you like to answer some questions and we'll pay you RM50?"

Thinking it's some kind of survey where I had to fill in the form, yea, I didn't mind and agreed...
Actually they wanted to ask questions and film on camera. (haha, yea I can imagine you all rolling your eyes and going...so ugly also can appear on TV?)

Well to cut the story short, they are filming a commercial on what will you do if you get RM 1,000,000. For RM50, you stand in front of 2 cameras, and answer a couple of questions regarding money. And if they like your answers, you'll appear on the commercial (airing sometime in April, May?) and get paid RM500.

I knew if I wanted to appear on TV, all I had to do was to give some outrageous 'out of the world' answer on how I'll spend RM 1,000,000 but would I really want to appear on TV saying something frivilous like "If I had RM1,000,000 I'll fill the swimming pool with chocholate and dive into it." Or "If I had RM 1,000,000 I'll go for plastic surgery etc."

The producers specifically told me, they didn't want answers like "I'll buy insurance or I'll save it in the bank or I'll give it to my parents etc kind of answers." They even asked "What is the most self indulging thing you'd do if you have RM 1,000,000?"

So yea, in the end my answers were a mix of my own beliefs and "script written." I did say that if I had Rm1,000,000 I would want to open a homeless shelter in the heart of KL. And to the question "If you had Rm1,000,000 what business will you go into?" I did say that I would want to open a youth centre. I will love to travel round the world to experience different cultures too. And buy a car perhaps? I also said I'll buy a library of books.. :)

But given the kind of questions they ask, I also did say that if I had RM1,000,000 as a teenager, I would hire a popstar band for my birthday...and buy lots of clothes...or send mass SMS to announce to my friends that I won Rm1,000,000. And...buy a flashy sports car..

Okay for one, I don't even really keep up with pop trends/songs or even drive fast, (why would I need a sports car!)...but they ask questions that "twist your arm indirectly" to get answers they want you to say on camera.
Plus, they will certainly cut out the things I personally would do with RM 1,000,000 so if I appear on TV I'll probably end up saying "If I have RM1,000,000 I'll throw an exclusive party and fly my favourite boy band in" instead (Hahaha!)

Yea if you are wondering, I had to sign a contract, so I really have no control over what footage they'll use and what they won't so.......
I rather not appear on TV than to appear as materialistic gal.
(I can just imagine my sister laughing and saying, aiyo you look so ugly and some more give such crap answers. Tell me not to spend so much money,spend wisely blah, blah, blah but go on tv saying you'll fly a pop band in....)
But anyway it was nice to earn RM50 in 15 minutes! hahaha...

Still, it got me thinking if I really had RM1,000,000 will I really use it for myself or for common good? It's easy to say that I'll donate it all away yet retract my words when the crunch comes. Likewise my life, I guess. I can easily say I would want to serve God even when I'm working or go into missions or stay firm in God no matter what happens. Yet, when I'm really faced with choices in the future, will my "idealistic" promises fade away or will I give God what I have promised him, my life and my trust?

So if I really had RM1,000,000 what will I do with it? Pay my PMS IMU fees of course (which unfortunately will reduce the amount drastically!!!), help my sisters on behalf of my parents and use the extra money to send students especially medical students for mission exposure trips overseas. (Oh yea, I had to turn down another oppurtunity to go to Myanmar in April! So many chances and cannot go because of IMU.. :( )

As for my own life, humanly, I know I will fail to live out to my promises and not give God my full trust. Thus I pray for greater sensitivity to God's promptings and His grace to cover me. For as C.S. Lewis says, "We are not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us; we are wondering how painful the best will turn out to be."

So given Rm1,000,000 what are you going to do with it?
More so, given 1 life. And only 1 master to choose. So many choices. Who will reign?

Will probably write on retreat for the CF blog so CFers if you happen to unfortunately stumble to my blog, visit the CF blog instead... :)

1 comment:

Philip said...

i get one master who gives me one life and also many millions of dollars..ahahahha..so choose the master first