Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Once upon a time..

...I had a dream, a purpose and passion. I had a dream to be a good doctor, specialize overseas, marry a fellow malaysian and come back to make a difference in the lives of patients in Malaysia. I had a passion for the poor, for those who were rejected by society. I had purpose; I thought it would be really fulfilling to be a doctor and bring love/change in my practice of medicine.

Along the way I left the country. Experienced many things, learnt to be tough. Survived, graduated but...

...I am now a doctor practising in Sydney. Living a fairly comfortable life of privillaged internship. Going to church, then out for lunch, shoping, online, working, sleeping...all good things...

but...my dear friend asked me, how do you think you have changed in the 3 years you've been overseas...

I realized I am more independent but more cold,
less stressed but more uncaring.
surviving but not alive.

I can't see myself living in Australia forever, yet I don't know if or when to go back to Malaysia.
Uncertain, unsure, directionless.

I sound ungrateful, but I still believe there is more to life than this....

2 comments:

eguitarist said...

Indeed. Seriously I think I have become rather bimbotic and materialistic and comfortable with the comfortable life. But the work He has started He will complete.. may He renew our hearts again somehow..

Anonymous said...

u have a sincere and pure heart ^^ don't worry one day i'm sure u can do it ... really touched by ur blog sob sob