Monday, November 03, 2008

I am a klutz

If those out there are wondering what we medical students do everyday; well we just basically sit and observe lots of things and try not to fall asleep or get questioned because we will not know the answer.

And if those in Malaysia wonder what the Australian medical teaching is like; basically we get sent out to a lot of "touchy-feely" stuff like community medicine and preventative care. It's probably an excuse as to why I am so dumb in medicine but I digress because everyone else in Med knows their anatomy and physiology and pharmacology esp those kiasu Singaporean students (or rather student who like for example knows that RF is actually IgM mediated antibody against IgG antibodies... no offence to the rest of the Singaporean population) AND still can do the touchy feely stuff so it must just be me.

But anyway....
The object of all the detours above was because today I went on a visit to a divison of GP set up and went along with the exercise psychiologist. They had a exercise group for mental health participants in a hall and guess what, your's truly was asked to join.

Now, I am already a klutz IN sports attire...worst in clinical clothes of long pants (thank goodness I wore pants and not a skirt or heels). And I have not played much team sports since leaving high school. Needless to say, it was a disaster where I just ran up and down the court, hoping no one will throw the ball at me because I will definately lose it and trying to just not get my feet stepped on. And that was just basketball.....there was soccer after that (wow how aussie-fied I am, I don't even call it football anymore)....but I shall spare myself the humilation of telling it in cyberspace. Haha.

But I guess this is the touchy feely thing about being a medical student. That even in the midst of the influx of info that I will never remember, (or will remember but lose it just when the consultant asks the question) it is learning to be humble enough to play along and be part of patients' lives. Yup sometimes we are merely furnitures in the consulting room or objects of hazards in the operating theater but it trains us to be patient and acknowledge our inexperience.
Even in the times of being scolded or reprimanded over things we did not get taught; those are times we swallow our pride and learn.

So even between throwing lots of air balls and doing star jumps in pin strip pants, it's a lesson as important as learning about Lacunar syndrome or whatever not.


But of course, if I ever do have children I will make sure they are not subjected to such humilation of klutizness and play more sport!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting write up .. and i think all of us UNSW trained studnts are like that touchy feely haha
wah u must let me meet this kiasu singaporean student man.. i never know that singaporeans can be so kiasu to such an extent of remembering stuff like these ..such nerdy ppl should be stoned and crucified haha .. spoil the market lor .then make u feel dumb when u are not haha ..terrible right these type of students...
if u want to have kids that are good in sports u must start soon ma so that u can be an example for them and also it is hte mother mitochondria that is passed to the children so if u not fit how to pass good mitochondria haha

Anonymous said...

That kiasu student is somemore 2 years my junior and is super nerdy with red rimmed specs. His gf says he looks like chicken little. Do you know him? Since you are in year 3 too...

Anonymous said...

erm i woudl keep a look out with guys that put on red rimmed specs... wah and he has a gf!!! nerdy ppl also woud have gf one ah .. u sure he has a not? either his gf must be blind or she got no one to choose from so bo bian and to choose him haha i woudl keep a look out .. u know which hospital?

Anonymous said...

from sutherland. The gf is from Johor one...so mayb you will know? I think they got together because of an incident in the bus..some touching thing...Haha!

Anonymous said...

From Sutherland!!! oh i surely would have seen him around cos i am from that hospital too.. wah the girl from johor.. sure very easy for them to meet la since he is from singapore... ok would try to look out for this guy... how did u get to know him then?

Anonymous said...

Oh he was wearing a pink T shirt (Never iron one) one day in In Chan...and likes to talk lots of nonsense but also quite interesting la, talks a lot every Sunday about how he likes his gf and how he is jealous of benedict haha