Monday, September 06, 2010

Realization no 5

I have a temper within me that I have not known for a long time...
and mainly to the nurses...

...who call me at 230 am to say "I need an IVC now...."
.."what is it for?"
.."Antibiotics"
.."Isn't antibiotics given at 6am earliest. I do a morning round anyway at 530-6 and always do all the IVCs and other tasks then. If I come around now, I will have to come again a few times throughout the night. If the cannula is for heparin infusion/PCA I can come immediately. and I am covering the whole hospital. I cannot be walking up and down for a cannula that is needed at 6"
.."yes, but if I don't tell you now, I cannot write it in my nursing notes 'MO contacted'"
.."then what is the use of the M0 communication book?"
.."I need to write in the notes that I have contacted you."
.."but it is not an urgent cannula."
...........at this point I give up trying to make paging a little more systematic/triage based.
And multiply this by 3-4 different wards and at random hours of the night.
^_^

Note: not all nurses are like that, I have done nights too at another hospital where they will only page when the cannula is urgent-PCA/heparin/somac infusion. They trust doctors enough that we will come around in the morning and we trust them enough that when they page, it is urgent and we will come immediately. The problem with nonsense paging is that after a while, you do not know when to take them seriously or not.


Page beeps..
..Reply page..rings and rings and rings and rings..
No one picks up phone
..Call again
Finally someone picks up the phone.
.."Hello you paged?" (hold my tongue-wanted to say if you page, wait by the phone. What is the use of paging and running away? And I take pages seriously and reply immediately!)
.."Come and review patient, she has respiratory distress"
.."1st of all where are you calling from, what is the patient in for?"
.."some history given..."
.."What are the obs"
.."I haven't done them"
.."How can you tell me patient is in respiratory distress when you haven't counted the respiratory rate, 02 stas. Again, I am covering the whole hospital and I need to triage which patient needs to be seen urgently more than the others..look someone else is paging me now..
You also need to do the obs because it might be severe enough to be a MET call!"
^_^

God I need a lot of patience!

1 comment:

sabrina said...

wa jie so susah ^_^