Sunday, October 26, 2008

GP land

Doing GP now has made me realize how good my father actually is.
Over in Australia, there's an exam that must be taken to qualify as a GP and the system is such that medicare covers the bulk of the bill.

In Malaysia, it's so much different. The doctor is just not the doctor; but the pharmacist as well, the practice manager, the accountant, the radiologist, the obstetrician, the pediatrician, the geriatrician. Etc etc. Even more in a small island like Labuan.
See all, do all. No radiologist to interpret Xrays, ultrasounds. He even used to do gastroscopies.
The more I learn medicine, the more I realize I don't know anything and how much my dad does.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the other hand, I have a sinking feeling that history might repeat itself but ya. Oh well.

No comments: