Sunday, December 09, 2007

And as I was passing by..

...on transit, there was a large group of men waiting in the airport lounge. Of east-Asian origin, their clothes showed their humble backgrounds while they laid down on the floor on their white woven bags, resting from a long flight. Their agent, a rather fierce looking middle aged woman stood clutching a swath of passports and documents.

Rather unkindly but in all honesty, the 1st thought that crossed my mind when passing this group was "I hope they are not on my flight!" for there was a slight stench, probably as many had not had a shower since travelling miles? from their home village to the city to catch their flight.

Yet after moving into the waiting area, looking at them from across the glass partition, I was reminded that in many ways we have much in common, only that my family's migration happened 60+ years earlier in a time where laws and citizenships were fluid.

Both my grandfathers migrated from famine striken China to Malaysia and had blue collar jobs where my maternal grandfather started of as a labourer in the docks carrying goods. It's only by God's grace and hard work, our family is what it is today.

The men waiting out there had poorer prospects. Most will have to work hard, construction jobs for perhaps Rm10-20 (USD 3-5) per day. All have left their families and will not see them for the next 3-5 years.

And this is why I really love and believe in the work of my church who have started a Nepali and Bahasa service. Of people who have sacrificed their time to care for these people; my maid's cell group leader is a rich Chinese man who picks all the maids up for cell group in his house every Wednesday.

Indeed, despite the NEP policy that has forced us to study privately and overseas, in comparison to other migrants, we are still blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi...i'm in sitiawan. i'm not sure when will i be in kl. btw how long will you be there?